Here is a recipe I took from a friend for yummy gujiyas. They may seem tiring to make but will taste wonderful once made.
Khoya (Mawa) 400 gms
Suji: 1/2 cup
Powdered Sugar: 2 cups
Cardamom Powder 1 tsp
- Crumble or grate khoya.
- Roast khoya till it turns very light caramel color. Keep stirring it continuously or it will burn! Keep it aside.
- Roast Suji the same way. Suji will take much less time than khoya. Keep it aside.
- Mix sugar & all the above ingredients and your filling is ready.
For the Gujiya shell cover/ dough:
Maida (All purpose flour): 4 cups
Ghee: 3 Tbsp
Water as needed to make a stiff dough
Oil for frying
1. Prepare dough: Melt ghee and rub it with the flour. Work the flour well with your hands so ghee gets mixed in. Take water and make a stiff dough, like you would make for puris. Cover it with a wet cloth and leave aside for about 30 minutes. Work the dough again to make it smooth. Spend about 10 minutes doing this.
2. Make lemon size balls from the dough and cover them with wet cloth to prevent drying.
3. Make Puris: Now take one ball and roll it like a puri, about 4 inches diameter.
4. Making gujiyas: Place 1 tbsp filling, in the center of the puri. Moisten the lower edge (the one of your side) of puri with water. Bring the top edge to the lower edge, in other words fold over the top edge to seal the edges. I use the back of a fork to pinch two layers together which makes those lovely marks while sealing the edges as well. Now do like this for all dough balls. (You can also get the plastic dough press set from market or Gujiya molds to prepare gujiyas)
(Tip: I roll out 10 puris at a time, fill them and cover them with wet cloth. And then roll out 10 again and so on…)
5. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadhai, (medium flame, not very hot oil). Keep the flame somewhere between low to medium.
Fry two to three gujiyas at a time and let them turn light brown by turning often. Take them out on a paper towel and let them cool.
VOILA>> GUJIYAS R READY>>>HAPPY HOLI!!!!
(Once Gujiyas cool down, they can be stored in an air tight container for about 10 days or so. )