(12 medium idlis)
2. Optional>>Add chopped curry leaves, little mustard seeds, roasted chana dal seeds.
OR take only 1/2 cup suji & combine it with 1/2 cup of ready-made rava Idli mix.
(The brand "Eat Well" in US Indian stores has some good ingredients in it & gives a gr8 flavor & texture to idlis. Helps to save money by saving market mix for next time).
3. Mix 2-3 tablespoon full of yogurt & some water in the suji mixture to form a thick batter. Leave for 10 min for suji to swell. Adjust the consistency with little water if desired.
4. Add 1/2 tsp Eno salt or baking soda, just before making idlis.
5. Greese the idli stand with oil & then drop the mixture into the idli shapes.
6. Take 1 glass of water in a big pressure cooker & heat it. Put the Idli stand carefully on some 1/2 inch high platform or stand inside the cooker. Cover it with the lid tightly BUT do NOT put the whistle.
7. Let the Idlis steam for about 15 min. (medium to high heat) or till the steam stops coming out. Shut off the heat & let it rest for few min. before opening the lid. If they are too wet or moist....let them dry out a little by putting the cooker on medium heat for few more seconds. Once done, take out the stand & let them cool a little before taking them out with help of a flat edge knife. Keep them covered & serve hot with sambhar.