The delicious spicy Rajmah curry is favorite among young & old and goes very well with rice and chapattis; whether, its for simple family lunch or dinner or for parties.
Ingredients: (for 4-5 people)
- Red Kidney beans (soaked a night before & then boiled or pressure cooked)
- For masala/gravy: onions, tomatoes, ginger, green chillies, spices
- Wash & Soak about 1 cup red kidney beans in plenty of water, one night before & then next day, pressure cook them along with the water till they are soft (2-3 whistles on high & then 5 min on low heat)
- Drain them in a strainer kept over an empty bowl to retain the liquid.
- Grind 2 medium onions, 3 tomatoes (medium), 1 inch ginger & 2 green chillies in a mixie.
- Put the clean cooker on high heat & add 1 tbs oil. Add 2-3 cloves, few black pepper corns, 1 crushed cardamom, 1 bayleaf, & 1 tsp cumin seeds. Let them crackle & add the grinded mixture.
- Stir the onion-tomato mixture & add spices (2 tsp coriander pd, 1/2 tsp red chilli pd, 1/2 tsp turmeric pd, 1 tsp garam masala, some salt & keep stirring till the mixture begins to leave some oil.
- Add the drained kidney beans first, mix all & then add the left over drained liquid. Stir & add some extra water to get the desired consistency. Add salt to taste. Reduce heat, cover with the lid & let it simmer for a while. (Alternately, You may also close the pressure cooker with its lid & give 1 whistle to let everything mix well & thicken).
- Once ready, sprinkle some more garam masala & chopped coriander leaves for added flavor & color.