Stomach problems can be due to number of reasons: stress, insomnia, menstruation, food poisoning, acidity/gerd, unhealthy foods, too much eating etc. Diagnosing the problem can help to decide the correct course of action.
For UPSET TUMMY: Below is the "BRATY" diet given at one website that has been recommended to take care of upset stomach. It has been found to be very useful by many readers.
Any tummy troubles (diarrhea, nausea) should be served the BRATY diet:
B – bananas
R – rice (white)
A – apple sauce
T – toast (white)
Y – yogurt
- Bananas – The amylase in bananas is an enzyme that assists in digestion, so although bananas are high in natural sugars, they are a gentle choice for an upset tummy.
- Rice (white)– It is supposed to firm up your stool.
- Applesauce – Applesauce is gentle on the stomach & puts less strain on stomach muscles to digest.
- Toast – White bread/saltine crackers helps “firming up” the loose motions & helps in diarrhea control.
- Yogurt is a Probiotic – Best effective remedy for stomach problems. It helps to introduce healthy bacteria into your system to restore balance & controls all troubling stomach issues. Good for stress control & indigestion.
B> BROTH/soup (chicken or veg)
R>>RICE or Ripe Bananas
- Broth/Chicken stock made with extra garlic & ginger
- Soup with ginger
- Probiotics: yogurt
- Fermented foods
- brown rice
- peppermint and ginger tea, chamomile tea
- water kefir
- activated charcoal
- no dairy
- coconut water (replaces electrolytes and fluids)
- Drink made with raw honey, sea salt, and lemon (
- Creamy rice,
- Toast from homemade bread
- Easily digested veggies like squash.
- Cooked carrots for loose stools
- cooked rice water with honey & salt,
- For constipation: Eat the 3F’s: fat, fluids, and fiber. Raw fruits and veggies and whole grain bread dipped in olive oil are helpful. Caffeine is a diuretic, so some diluted black tea or iced tea may help draw water into the bowels to make using the loo easier.
- real ginger ale
- Apple cider vinegar: mixed with water
- crystallized ginger to settle tummy
Heartburn is a burning sensation that arises in your chest and upper abdomen. Sometimes there is a burning sensation in your throat and you may burp up stomach acid. Heartburn is a primary symptom of a condition called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Any chest discomfort may also signify heart disease, so it is essential that you discuss with your doctor.
Tip: You can take TUMS or antacid to get relief besides eating proper foods. However, its best to take the herbal approach as given below!!
1. Skip the aerated drinks & caffeine. Have herbal tea.
2. Have a glass of lukewarm water everyday.
3. Include banana, watermelon and cucumber in your daily diet. Watermelon juice is great for curing acidity.
4. Coconut water or Nariyal paani is known to soothe the system if you suffer from acidity.
5. Drink a glass of milk - everyday.
6. Have your last meal at least 2-3 hours before you hit the sack.
7. Don't go more than 3 hrs without food. Have small but regular meals.
8. Avoid pickles, spicy chutneys, vinegar, etc.
9. Boil some mint leaves in water and have a glass of this after meals.
10. Sucking on a piece of clove is another effective remedy.
11. Jaggery, lemon, banana, almonds and yogurt are all known to give you instant relief from acidity.
12. Cut down excessive smoking and drinking.
13. Try chewing gum. The saliva generated helps move food through the esophagus, easing symptoms of heartburn.
14. Ginger aids in digestion. Either buy powdered ginger in capsule forms or add the herb to your recipes.
15. preparation of lemon water with sugar can be sipped on an hour before lunch to reduce uneasiness.
16. Have vegetables like drumsticks, beans, pumpkin, cabbage, carrot and spring onions.